Thursday, February 23, 2012

February 23, 2012

Hey there! With any luck your package should package should be arriving soon. (I've lost track of days, and of the receipt, naturally.) I hope that you are feeling better!


We've had rain, and lots of it, but that's okay --- that's what we're supposed to have this time of year. I'm getting into the groove of being out in the office at 9:00, and I think the change of scenery has been good for me. I am happier, although I think the writing may have something to do with that. 


It is a curious thing, this lift, this little dance in my step, that follows the thought, "I'm going to get to write tomorrow!" 


"Know your audience," the sages say. I considered that as I composed my second blog. I laughed. "I have two --- no, three: my best friend, my sister-in-law, and Andrea, the Flickr contributor who is going to let me use her picture on my blog. 


A few blogs back, Betsy Lerner asked about readers, and whether or not it was important to us to have them. Just barely out of the gate, I am having to answer that for myself. What should my true north be: Readers, or writing for joy? 


For my "Under the Pecan" blog, yes I hanker for readers. Saying so feels like a confession. I consider two other things. First,  this isn't my job. I don't have to have readers. Secondly, there are about a half a million new blog posts on WordPress every day. Combined, those things set me free: I can pay attention to when the writing is making me happy, and when it is not. I will write what I enjoy writing. If readers come, they will come for that, and we will all be happy. 


Five, maybe six, years ago, I committed an hour a day to writing. I wrote in my journals, and in discussion threads, but mostly I read about writing, hanging out with authors, so to speak. I came to think of "writer" as personality type rather than an occupation. I drew solace from knowing that other people write just to find their way through life's occasional madness. I came to believe in the value of writing "that goes no further than the one person for whom it was intended." (Lerner)


I feel a change. "Something's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear." But I am writing more, and I am getting a kick out of it. 


And with that my dear, I am down to ten minutes left on my hour, which I'm going to use to go read your blog from day before yesterday.


Big loves,
Vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment